Assistive Tech or Spy Device? Let's Talk About Rodger

Noisy environments can be challenging even for people without a hearing impairment. So what about those of us with a hearing device? Although these do provide access to sound, there are still situations where understanding speech clearly is hard, especially when there is a lot of background noise or when the person speaking is further away.

That’s where Roger equipment saves the day!

I personally use two types of Roger microphones based on the situation: the Roger Touchscreen Mic and the Roger Select. Yes, both can send someone’s voice directly to my cochlear implants, but that doesn’t mean they are both suited for the same task. Therefore, I don’t necessarily take them everywhere I go.

A Quick Recap on Roger

I've actually spoken about Roger before in Assistive Tech or Spy Device? Let's Talk About Roger, where I explained what the system is, why I use it and, most importantly, why the mysterious device I put in the middle of a table isn't spying on anyone!

So I won't go into all of that again here.

In short, Roger microphones can send sound directly to my cochlear implants, helping me hear someone more clearly when things like distance and background noise get in the way.

But if both of my Roger microphones do that, why do I need two?

That's where things get a little more interesting.

Roger Touchscreen Mic

If I want to hear one particular person, the Roger Touchscreen Mic is normally the one I reach for.

It can be worn around someone's neck using a lanyard, which is particularly useful if they are going to be moving around. Once they are wearing it, I don't really have to think about where they are standing in relation to me because the microphone stays close to them.

This is one of the reasons I find it so useful for presentations and similar situations. The person speaking can move around the room without me suddenly losing their voice because they have moved further away.

I also use it for one-to-one situations. Rather than trying to position myself in exactly the right place to hear someone, I can give them the microphone and their voice comes directly through to my cochlear implants.

The Touchscreen Mic can do more than this, including being placed on a table, but personally, this isn't where I think it shines.

For me, one main speaker = Touchscreen Mic.

Roger Select

The Roger Select is almost the opposite.

If there are multiple people I want to hear, particularly if we're sitting around a table, I'm much more likely to grab the Select.

I can put it in the middle and it automatically picks up the people speaking around it. I can also choose which direction I want it to focus on, which can be really useful if there are several conversations happening at once.

This is why I prefer it for things like group discussions, meals and restaurants. Passing one microphone between everyone would be annoying and probably wouldn't happen quickly enough during a normal conversation. With the Select sitting in the middle, people don't really have to do anything differently.

That's quite important to me. The less I have to interrupt a conversation to manage my equipment, the easier it is to actually be part of that conversation.

For me, multiple speakers around a table = Roger Select.
But They Can Both Do That!

This is where the comparison isn't quite as simple as saying one is for individuals and the other is for groups.

There is definitely some crossover.

The Touchscreen Mic can be placed on a table and pick up a group. The Select can also be worn by one person. If I only had one of them with me, I could probably make it work in quite a few different situations.

But just because a device can do something doesn't mean it's the one I prefer for it.

If I'm listening to one person who is walking around, I would much rather give them the Touchscreen Mic than try to use my Select.

Likewise, if I'm sitting at a table with several people, I would much rather put my Select in the middle than use the Touchscreen Mic.

Having both means I can choose the microphone that suits the situation rather than trying to make one device do everything.

Which One Do I Use Where?

So, what does that actually look like in everyday life?


One-to-One Conversations

Usually the Touchscreen Mic.

I can give it to the person I'm talking to and don't have to worry as much about distance between us.

Presentations and Talks

Definitely the Touchscreen Mic.

The speaker can wear it on the lanyard and move around while they are talking. They don't have to remember to keep returning to a microphone sitting somewhere else.

Meals and Restaurants

This is where I prefer the Roger Select.

It can sit in the middle of the table and pick up different people as they speak. I can also change which direction it is focusing on when I need to.

Group Discussions

Again, usually the Select, particularly when everyone is sitting around a table.

Conversation moves quickly. By the time a Touchscreen Mic had been passed to whoever was speaking, somebody else would probably have started talking!

Watching TV

Another win for the Roger Select, but for a slightly different reason.

I have the TV docking station for mine, so I can use it to send the television sound directly to my cochlear implants.

Really Noisy Places

This one doesn't have an automatic winner.

If I'm trying to hear one person, getting the Touchscreen Mic close to them can work really well.

If I'm trying to follow several people around a table, I'm more likely to use the Select.

In this situation, it's less about how noisy is it? and more about who am I actually trying to hear?

Do I Carry Both?

Not always!

This is probably one of the biggest benefits of knowing which microphone I prefer for different situations. If I know what I'm going to be doing, I can normally predict which one I'm more likely to need.

If I'm going somewhere with one other person, I might only take the Touchscreen Mic.

If I'm going for a meal with a group, the Select makes much more sense.

Of course, there are times when plans change and I end up wishing I'd brought the other one, but that's just part of using assistive technology. You can't carry absolutely everything everywhere!

So, Which One Is Better?

Honestly, I don't think there is a winner!

The Roger Touchscreen Mic and Roger Select might have the same overall goal — helping me hear — but I use them in very different ways.

If I want to hear one person, particularly if they are moving around or speaking from a distance, I am much more likely to reach for my Touchscreen Mic. If I'm sitting with several people around a table, the Select is usually my first choice.

For me, having both isn't about owning two devices that do exactly the same thing. It's about being able to choose the one that works best for where I am and who I am trying to hear.

Sometimes the Touchscreen saves the day. Sometimes it's the Select.

And sometimes I inevitably realise I've brought the wrong one!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Usher Syndrome Story

Comfort in Darkness

A Turning Point in Independence